Distance (and what makes a Long Distance Walk long)

Lately I've been walking for distance (stamina, endurance), weight-loss, fitness, and enjoyment, but sadly not for training purposes (I have no imminent walking holiday planned).  I've been increasing the distance over the past 6 weeks, now doing 45km over 7 and a quarter hours, albeit over a route with little to no elevation.  I was hoping to get up to 50 or 60km (I've done 40+ a few times while doing walking holidays in the past, and was trying to at least match that - see the list of longer days on LDWs at the end of this post), but I've run out of time.  I'm off to Canada in 4 days time (for a year) and have too much to do in the next few days to attempt a 60km day.  I've also discovered that my feet rebel at about 45km, feeling quite achy and, on one occasion, blistered due to walking with wet socks most of the day.  I have about 2 and a half weeks once I arrive in Canada before starting work, so I might attempt some distance walking during that time and see what I can manage.

I wouldn't suggest doing distance such at that when doing a walking holiday unless absolutely necessary.  In fact, I would recommend no further than 30km a day, as you'll need to be walking day after day after day, and feet must be kept in top shape to allow for that.

That brings me to what makes a LDW long.  From what I've read, it is a walk that requires multiple (i.e. at least 2) days to complete.  Such a definition does not stipulate the distance that the walk must be.  For myself, it would have to be more than 45km to take more than one day.  For someone else, 25-30km could meet that requirement.  Personally, I think an LDW needs to take a minimum of 4 days, and preferably 6 or 7.  The longest I've done, the South West Coastal Path, is 42 days (just over 1000km), my favourite, Lady Anne's Way, is 6 days, and the shortest I've done would be 4 days (the Mendip Way, St Cuthbert's Way, for example).

 

 

Days on LDWs that I believe I have done 40+ km

2014 Cotswold Way day 6: from King's Stanley to Tormarton distance about 47km

2015 South West Coastal Path day 44: West Ludworth to South Haven Point distance about 43.5km

2019 Pennine Way day 2: from Padfield to Todmorden distance about 44.9km

2019 Pennine Way day 4: from Haworth to Malham distance about 43.8km

2019 Wainwright's Coast to Coast day 6: from Kirkby Stephen to Reeth distance about 38.5km

Comments

Popular Posts