Hiking/Walking Apps


I can't find a hiking app that does the few basic things I need it to do.  I had one, called ViewRanger, that did do all I required, however that app is discontinued (now replaced by OutdoorActive).  I currently have 5 Hiking apps on my phone (listed below), however none of them do what I really want/need.

What I'd like in a hiking app is:

  • Ability to plot routes easily (a must have)
  • Ability to record a track I'm doing, and to end it easily without saving (i.e. not having to go through screens and screens, having to save, and then trying to find how to delete it).
  • While recording a track, to show (in large font) the time elapsed and distance covered, and less importantly the current average speed, overall average speed (this last I can calculate mentally from the first 2 figures anyway).
  • Ability to permanently lock the map with the compass pointing north.
  • Able to download maps while connected to a WiFi location, and keep those maps so they are available when there is no connection.
  • Work with U.K. OS maps (with a reasonably priced monthly/weekly subscription).
  • Shows full screen maps (with "pop-out" info when required)
  • A "nice to have" be able to put in a personal average walking speed, so when I plot a route it gives a more accurate estimate of the time it will take.

Here's a table showing some features and which apps have those.  The legend is:

Y = yes

* = yes, but not very good

** = yes, and good

N = no

blank = I don't know if this app has this feature

 

AllTrails

Hiiker

NZ Maps

OutdoorActive

Strava

North locking

N

N

Y

N

N

Trail recording

*

*

*

*

*

Trail plotting

N

Y

Y

Y

N

Distance travelled

**

**

*

*

**

Time elapsed

**

**

*

*

**

Average speed

**

**

*

**

**

Current speed

N

N

*

**

N

Personal speed setting

N

Y

N

N

N

Offline maps

 

 

 

 

 

OS map compatibility

 

 

 

 

 

Full screen map

N

N

Y

N

N

Easy recording exit

N

Y

Y

Y

Y

Accurate distance

*

N

 

Y

*

Note: All but the Strava app has aborted a recording of a trail at some point during the walk (by aborting, I mean it just stops recording, does not allow you to resume, and shows no data of said recording).  I haven't used the Strava app much, so it might happen with that one, and the OutdoorActive only aborted once my battery saver kicked in.

A few days later I have reduced the list to either Hiiker or OutdoorActive.  I have found that with Hiiker, any planned routes cannot be "activated."  By this, I mean that you can't choose a route you have planned and then "start" the route with a clock and other real-time stats showing.  I posted on their website and apparently that is going to be available in the next update.  I haven't tested OutdoorActive to see if their planned routes can be "activated" but it looks like you can, by converting a plan to a route.  I will test this next time I walk.

The other major differences between the two is that Hiiker has more easily readable fonts, but is less accurate in calculating distance and average speeds.

Comments

Popular Posts