Kawerau: Monika Lanham Reserve - Lookout Loop

Today I went out for a lunchtime walk again.  It was back in the Monika Lanham Reserve doing the Lookout Loop (pretty much) which is at the north end of the reserve.


I ran into a guy with an expensive camera considering the map at the bottom of the climb and he asked me which path he should take to get views over Kawerau township, which confused me a little as the reserve is kind of in the middle of houses, but he was referring to the centre of town so he ended up following me.


The path is steep to start with (and I was a little short of breath climbing the steps) but once passing the first water reservoir/tank things level out considerably.



From here the views open up and you can see over the township.  I had intended on continuing along the top of the reserve and doing the west/south loops, but the paths on the brochure map didn't completely correspond to the paths I experienced on the ground.




And then I came across some boardwalks that were twisted and tilted and no longer useful.






I came up to the intersection of paths and roadway that I first encountered in the latter part of my last walk here, then I headed southward doing a short extra extension loop that is not marked on the maps.



After the diversion I headed north again looping around to look at the second water tank before descending and heading back to work before my hour's lunch was up.







Comments

Popular Posts