Whakatane River Walk part 2 - a 2km section up-river from the Rowing Club

Today I finally managed to get a, mostly, dog-free walk along the rest of the Whakatane River path that I was interested in checking out.  This was my fourth attempt at walking it and today I was successful!

I started near the Mitre 10 in Whakatane, as I had been wandering around doing some other things first, and walked most of the riverside trail, that I had walked when I put up the previous post, out to the rowing club.  From the rowing club the gravel-covered path only went about 800 metres, which I was somewhat surprised at.


It ended at Ferry Rd (where the orange dot is on the route map image below).

From where the gravel path ended, I walked along the bottom of the flood banks through a grassy area at the base of said flood banks, the ground rather bumpy and lumpy and the river way off to my right and pretty much out of sight.



After about another 1.2km, and passing a cattle race fenced off by an electric fence, the access ended.  The housing on the left had ceased, more electric fencing was on the right (I am unaware if the land beyond is public access), and a fence with a road on the other side lay right ahead.


At this point, I turned to retrace my steps to the rowing club.




After I had walked back along the 2km of new-to-me riverside, I continued along the riverside path back into town, ending at the library, taking a couple of extra photos, the first of a section of the path that I had not realised was covered by CCTV (small cameras were on the top of every lamp post - those silvery grey vertical lines in the distance - hopefully to catch the irresponsible dog owners I keep encountering here), and the second of a tidal river when the tide was out.


The walk was enjoyable, but I was a little annoyed when I finally got home and removed my boots, only to discover they smelt of cat spray, which likely came from the long grass along the flood banks where there was no longer a path. 

Comments

Popular Posts