Stanage Edge

Monday 19th August 2019 Hathersage

I had just walked a few sections of the White Peak Way and was in Hathersage with a day to spare before starting the Pennine Way.  I had heard about the local Stanage Edge, so thought I would head out there to see what the fuss was all about.

I headed out around 8 a.m. with the temperature at an incidental 8 degrees.  Nice!  It was a bit of a road walk initially to get up there (there are probably some trails you could take, but that would have been a little circuitous). 

Finally, the Edge was in view and an impressive sight it was.

I made my way up an angled path to the top.

Then I turned left (west). 

I wandered along the top of the edge as it curved its way north.






I crossed the A57 road and walked a minor lane eastward until I could come down, crossing the A57 again, the east side of the moor via the Redmires Reservoirs. 




It was about this time that the number of people out walking significantly increased so, once back at the place I had climbed up to the edge, I climbed back down, but took a different, and more scenic, route back into Hathersage.




Although it was only a half-day walk, it was dramatic, and I was glad I took the time to check out Stanage Edge.  My only regret was not walking some of the base of the edge, as online photos show piles of the old mill stones that can be seen, but I did not see any on my walk.

Comments

Popular Posts