Scarborough

Wednesday the 9th of October

I arrived at the Scarborough YHA on Wednesday the 9th of October 2019 for 3 nights stay.  It was supposed to allow me a chance to finish the Cleveland Way, which I’d walked 5 days of one year previous, but…

I had just walked 11 days straight doing Wainwright’s Coast to Coast, then found getting from Robin Hood’s Bay to the Scarborough YHA by bus not that easy (although it actually is, if you know the 2 bus routes you need to take), so I wasn’t too keen on trying to find my way back to Robin Hood’s Bay the next morning.  In fact, instead of taking the bus all the way into Scarborough central and then finding another bus to bring me back out (almost) to the hostel, I had gotten off the bus at Scalby and walked the 2.5km along Field Lane to get to the hostel while lugging my 20kg pack all the way.

Luckily there was a place to eat within a few minutes walk of the hostel (a Stonehouse), and they had daily specials!  A burger and drink for me, please.

Thursday the 10th of October

Today I walked into Scarborough to see what the place was like.  I didn’t spend too much time in the city, other than to purchase a little food and a couple of CDs but went out to the castle to wile away a bit of time.





That night I wandered back up to the local pub-type place (called Scalby Manor Stonehouse) for a 2-pizza-and-a-bottle-of-wine special.

Friday 11th of October


Okay, so today I “should” have been walking from Scarborough to Filey and then catching the train back, but instead I walked to the Scarborough movie theatre and watched 2 movies in a row.  I did also have a nice jackfruit salad at a place on the way back to the hostel.  There endeth my time in Scarborough, still not having finished the Cleveland Way.  Oh well, that’s just an excuse to return some day.  Next up, Lady Anne’s Way (for the second time!).  Awesome!!

Comments

Popular Posts