Alnwick 2019


Thursday 19th September 2019

When planning the holiday, I had a couple of spare days around here.  Originally, I was going to head up to Berwick as at was on my way to Glasgow (my next destination), but Berwick had a festival on and the hostel was fully booked when I had enquired over 6 months prior.  I ended up spending one of my extra days out on Holy Island (which I kind of had to to complete St Cuthbert’s Way): the other I decided to spend in Alnwick (which, in hindsight, was not a fun experience).

Alnwick was just another town, without many reasons to visit.  I had thought the castle might be interesting, it being used in some of the Harry Potter films, but it was a bit too expensive to get in (£16) and it was complete, and I like my castles in ruins.  I had lots of time to kill, as I had arrived just after 8 a.m. on a bus full of students heading to school, and I was staying in the local youth hostel for the night.  Needless to say, I spent a lot of time sitting and reading.

I did see the castle from the other side of the River Aln, which is probably it’s best side.




I also saw the world’s largest treehouse (apparently).




And nearby, a dude was taking a bath.


Alnwick was not a highlight of my holiday, but at least I can say I’ve been to Hogwart’s (except they never let me in the door, as I hadn’t paid the entrance fee).

Comments

Popular Posts